Flickr is an image and video hosting website. Flickr allows users to upload photos and videos online and create image-based projects. It is a place where you can find high-resolution photos and videos. It was founded by Stewart Butterfield and Caterina Fake on February 14, 2004. Later Yahoo acquired Flickr on March 20, 2005. Flickr was the first photo-sharing site and is one of the oldest and most appreciated free photo and video hosting sites.
What does Flickr offer?
Flickr is used by professionals and photography enthusiasts. It has a user base of 112 million people. Flickr does not compromise on quality. Flickr does not compress your photos and videos. You can upload 1000 photos [200MB photo limit] or videos [1GB video limit] for free on Flickr. It’s a massive site that gets hundreds of thousands of visitors daily.
Flickr Pro [subscription-based service.]
After switching from a free to a pro account for just $6.99 per month or $60 per year you get features like:
- Unlimited storage and worry-free photo and video backup.
- Advanced stats and an ad-free experience for you.
- Additional access and discounts.
How can one sell his art on Flickr?
Flickr is the best place to showcase their skills and passion for what they love and believe in. Also, it is a great place to sell or buy licensed photos for publications, weddings, advertisements, etc. One can follow these simple steps to crack a great deal:
- Post good stuff on your profile: Your product should be really good. You have to practice the art of perfection. Learn what good stuff looks like. You have to capture every opportunity you get. You have to take good pictures multiple times.
- Experiment: Experiment with the Flickr algorithm. Analyze the algorithm and play along. The images are picked by an algorithm based on the activity on the photo.
- Organic Interactions: What matters is the amount of authentic, organic interactions in the form of comments, favs, and the number of views your photo gets after being posted, regardless of how many followers you have.
- Link your Flickr profile to other web profiles: Post the link of your stuff to other websites like Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, Discord, etc. which causes images to be seen by a lot of people. Try posting regularly.
- Mention a price in the description of the photo: Before posting, mention a price on your photo. State that the price might be negotiable. Give a price that you think you deserve.
- Use keywords in the description: Try to type like what people might search. You can use Google Adwords Keyword Tool to research to see what people are typing in when they are looking for your kind of stuff. Be as specific as possible.
Is Flickr safe?
It’s not possible that you could pick up any malware or virus from using Flickr unless you follow links in comments or groups. Users cannot go wrong with Flickr. You can trust Flickr as it is the safest and oldest website on the web.
What is the purpose of Flickr?
Flickr is designed specifically for professional photographers and photography enthusiasts. It allows users to organize and store photos and interact with other people’s photo content. Still, after 18 years the purpose remains the same. Users using the free version of Flickr get 1 terabyte storage and a 1000 photo limit, which is great for those who are just starting out their photography journey on Flickr. Flickr also has a mobile app for android as well as for IOS operating systems, which provides users the ability to like, share and comment on photos and videos. You can keep your content public as well as private. If your content is private then only you and other users whom you have allowed can see it.
Flickr is a great place to upload and organize photos and geo-tag them. It has the tools that make it unique and helps you in promoting your product. Flickr has not forgotten its roots. They were a photo and video sharing site and will be in the future. It is safe and you can use it without any worry.
I’m a content writer with experience in content marketing and advertising. In free time, I enjoy photography in a variety of formats, as well as creative craft to enhance my mood!